Choir of the Sound seeks a talented and dynamic Associate Director.
Providing leadership for section leaders; recruiting for the choir; leading a small, subset group of the choir to be included regularly in performances and made available for other outside performances where the entire choir cannot be present; and performing other conducting and non-conducting duties as assigned. This position will be contracted to begin February 2016. Candidates must have meaningful choral conducting experience, a broad knowledge of choral repertoire and programming, and a collaborative spirit. Candidates must be willing and effective public advocates for Choir of the Sound and be comfortable engaging with the public both formally and informally.
About Choir of the Sound
The mission of Choir of the Sound is to enrich the lives of our community and our members by sharing exceptional performances of diverse musical styles, blending many talents to create a more perfect whole. The choir is routinely recognized for its impressive performances of major choral works and other classical music, which it presents each year in its Winter concert. In addition, the choir uses a unique blend of staging, lighting, and choreography to turn its Holiday and Spring Pops shows into musical-theater-style productions. While focusing on programs of high musical quality, the choir strives to convey a genuine and infectious sense of fun to its audiences.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music, Music Education, Choral Conducting, or related field
- Choral conducting experience with adult voices
- Willingness to work collaboratively on artistic programming
- Focus or degree in Choral Conducting
- Proficiency in piano skills
- Attend all rehearsals and performances (weekly: Monday nights; twice quarterly: Saturdays)
- Communicate regularly with the Artistic Director in person, via email, or by phone
- Conduct as needed (e.g., rehearsals, outside gigs, services at Saint Mark’s – see below)
- Be available to lead sectionals outside of regular rehearsal (section specific)
- Lead split sectionals during rehearsal as needed/requested by the Artistic Director
- Work with the Artistic Director to program concerts for concert season
- Review all performance recordings to ensure best possible selection is kept
- Be part of the Recruiting Team and help promote Choir of the Sound throughout the greater Puget Sound region
- Lead and direct a new small ensemble: (ideally this would be a group of people that get together as needed to work on outside performances to create a new avenue of income for the organization)
- Associate would recruit and select members for group
- This group would also perform 1 or 2 numbers per show/concert as needed; decided upon by the Artistic and Associate Directors
- Assist Artistic Director with other tasks as needed
- Artistic Director/Conductor
- President of the Board of Trustees
Compensation and Benefits
$4,500 annually, distributed evenly over 3 quarters (fall, winter, and spring)
- Download and fully complete the application form. NOTE: You must download the PDF (right-click on the form link and save it to your computer) and complete it in Adobe Reader (free). If you try to fill out the web browser version of the form, the signature and submit fields will not work in some/most browsers.
- Submit a current video-recorded work sample as either a high quality, North American format DVD or an online link to a video. The recording should total no more than 20 minutes and include an example of the applicant conducting a recent choral performance (suggested length: ca. 5 minutes) as well as an example of the applicant teaching in a classroom and/or rehearsal environment that demonstrates rehearsal techniques (suggested length: ca. 10 minutes). All submissions must include the date of the performance in the video as well as the name of the performing ensemble.
- Submit the application form using the “submit” button on the form, and email a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae along with the link to the video work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have trouble with the signature field and/or submit button despite filling it out in Adobe Reader, just save the completed PDF and include it as another attachment to your cover letter email. DVDs should be mailed to Choir of the Sound, PO Box 33149 Seattle, WA 98133. Please make sure the DVD is clearly labeled. You also may mail your printed PDF application and cover letter to this address if you wish.
- Auditions/interviews will take place in early 2016. Individuals chosen to participate in the audition process will be notified as soon as possible.