Choir of the Sound seeks a talented and dynamic Associate Director.
Leading a small, subset group of the choir to be included regularly in performances and made available for other outside performances where the entire choir cannot be present; providing leadership for section leaders; recruiting for the choir; and assisting with other conducting and non-conducting duties as assigned. This position will be contracted to begin April 2018. Candidates must have meaningful choral conducting experience, a broad knowledge of choral repertoire and programming, and a collaborative spirit. Candidates must be willing and effective public advocates for Choir of the Sound and be comfortable engaging with the public both formally and informally.
About Choir of the Sound
The mission of Choir of the Sound is to enrich the lives of our community and our members by sharing exceptional performances of diverse musical styles, blending many talents to create a more perfect whole. The choir is routinely recognized for its impressive performances of major choral works and other classical music, which it presents each year in its Winter concert. In addition, the choir uses a unique blend of staging, lighting, and choreography to turn its Holiday and Spring Pops shows into musical-theater-style productions. While focusing on programs of high musical quality, the choir strives to convey a genuine and infectious sense of fun to its audiences.
Position: Associate Director
Posted Date: February 22, 2018
Chorus/Organization Name: Choir of the Sound
Start Date: April 2018
Application Deadline: March 31, 2018
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music, Music Education, Choral Conducting, or related field
- Choral conducting experience with adult voices
- Willingness to work collaboratively on artistic programming
- Focus or degree in Choral Conducting
- Proficiency in piano skills
- Attend all rehearsals and performances (weekly: Monday nights; twice quarterly: Saturdays)
- Communicate regularly with the Artistic Director in person, via email, or by phone
- Conduct as needed (e.g., performances, rehearsals, outside gigs, services at Saint Mark’s – see below)
- Lead and direct a small ensemble: (ideally this would be a group of people that get together as needed to work on outside performances to create a new avenue of income for the organization)
- Associate Director would recruit and select members for group
- This group would also perform a few numbers per show/concert as needed; decided upon by the Artistic and Associate Directors
- Lead split sectionals during rehearsal as needed/requested by the Artistic Director
- Be available to lead sectionals outside of regular rehearsal (section specific)
- Work with the Artistic Director to program concerts for concert season
- Review all performance recordings to determine best possible selection
- Be part of the Outreach Team and help promote Choir of the Sound throughout the greater Puget Sound region
- Assist Artistic Director with other tasks as needed
Reports to: Artistic Director/Conductor and President of the Board of Trustees, Choir of the Sound
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation to be $4,500 annually, distributed evenly over 3 quarters
- Download and complete the application form including contact information for 3 professional references.
- Applicants are required to submit a current videotaped work sample. Applicants may send a high quality, North American format DVD or an online link to a video. The recording should total no more than 20 minutes and include an example of the applicant conducting a recent choral performance (suggested length: ca. 5 minutes) and an example of the applicant teaching in a classroom and/or rehearsal environment that demonstrates rehearsal techniques (suggested length: ca. 10 minutes). All submissions must include the date of the performance in the video as well as the name of the performing ensemble.
- Email the application form, cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and electronic work sample link to email@example.com or mail to Choir of the Sound, PO Box 33149, Seattle, WA 98133.
Individuals chosen to participate in the audition process will be notified in March 2018. Auditions/interviews will take place throughout March 2018.